Target audience: This workshop is intended for all practitioners involved in the care of mothers and newborns in the community.
Event description and format:
This workshop will be offered in a blended learning format and consists of 3 parts:
- Participants must complete a FREE online learning module: Supporting Mothers and Babies: Understanding Breastfeeding and the Baby Friendly Initiative. The ‘Certificate of Achievement’ must be submitted at least 2 working days prior to attending the workshop. Estimated time 2-4 hours.
- Online modules (using Google Classroom) to be completed independently prior to the afternoon session. Estimated time 3-4 hours.
- Participation in an interactive Zoom videoconference session during the afternoon of the workshop. Estimated time 3-4 hours.
This workshop and all of its components provide a portion of the education required for the Baby Friendly Initiative (BFI) certification.
All online modules must be completed prior to attending the afternoon Zoom session.
- Review the history of breastfeeding and ways in which societal influences can impact breastfeeding.
- Describe the principles of the Baby Friendly Initiative.
- Identify factors that influence parents’ decision to breastfeed
- Describe the various benefits of breastfeeding, including the unique properties of human milk for infants.
- Describe physiology of milk production including physiological changes of the breast in relation to milk production and transfer.
- Identify the key principles for successful breastfeeding.
- Identify common breastfeeding positions.
- Recognize correct latch and effective sucking at the breast.
- Identify key components of a breastfeeding assessment.
- Summarize normal behaviour and growth parameters of breastfed infants.
- Describe prevention and management of common breastfeeding complications
- Review basic information on medications and breastfeeding
- Discuss parent education and support pre-discharge and post-discharge
- Identify resources for the breastfeeding mother and family.
- Identify resources available for health care professionals to access breastfeeding information.
Participant handout to be downloaded upon registration to the workshop.
Further information on how to access online modules (Google Classroom) and the Zoom videoconference link will be shared prior to the Workshop.
Ariane Cloutier, email@example.com. Tel. 613-737-2660 x 2660
Participants must have a Gmail account to register and access Google Classroom to complete the online modules before the Workshop.
To create an account now, please CLICK HERE.
Prior to starting the various workshop components, please ensure that you have:
- a strong internet/Wi-Fi connection
a working web camera, and functioning audio. Please check this prior to the workshop.
- Note: You will be asked to keep your video on, and there will be times where you will be called upon to participate verbally in the session.
An appropriate space for participating in the session:
- Quiet, well-lit area
- comfortable space
- notebook and pen
- anything else you might need or use in a class setting
You may either download the Zoom application on your computer (we do not recommend joining the workshop using phone video), OR you can join directly from a browser. More information can be found here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362593-Launching-Zoom-from-a-web-browser
If you are joining from your place of work, please discuss any technical requirements with your IT/IS department, well in advance of the workshop.
Cancellation less than 2 weeks prior to the workshop will be subject to a $50 administration fee.